Current Affairs: HP
- The Department of Tourism & Civil Aviation will assist the villagers in 19 Panchayats in 7 districts of the state to promote rural tourism by way of showcasing their rich culture, traditions, cuisine & handicrafts & also market them. The main purpose is to help the local villagers to reap the benefits of tourism infrastructure being created under the ADB project in the seven districts of Shimla, Kangra, Chamba, Kullu, Mandi, Solan & Bilaspur.
- India has signed a $ 36 million loan agreement with the World Bank for the Himachal Pradesh Public Financial Management Capacity Building Programme. The objective of this project is to improve the efficiency of public expenditure management & Tax administration in HP.
- Karam Chand, a Gaddi goat farmer, has been awarded with “Breed Savior Award 2016”. He is associated with the ICAR (Indian Council of Agriculture Research) funded project in CSK HP Agriculture University.
- Tenzin Paldon was crowned with Miss Tibet 2017 in the Miss Tibet 2017 peasant organized at the Tibetan Institute of Performing Arts (TIPA), McLeodganj, Dharmshala, HP.
- Four major crops, Ginger, Peas, Potato, & Tomato have been covered under the Restructured Weather- Based Crop Insurance Scheme (RWBCIS) from the Kharif season 2017.
- CM inaugurated two bridges Chaswal Bridge & the Roso Khud Bridge inn Dharmpur Assembly segment in Mandi.
- R.S.Chauhan was made officiating Vice-chancellor of HP University.
- The Waterman of India Rajender Singh visited Shimla & shared his views on water Conservation.
- The newly constructed Cricket Stadium of Himachal Pradesh Cricket Association (HPCA) was inaugurated by Hamirpur MP Anurag Thakur at Gumma, & this cricket ground was named after Sushma Verma, wicket keeper of Indian Team.
- HP State Civil Supplies Corporation has initiated proposal of opening “Apna Store / Mall “at Shimla, Solan, Mandi & Dharmshala.
- Palmpur became first e-Constituency of India.
- 220KW K.V. Bhoktu Power Sub-Centre of Kinnaur has been inaugurated by CM.
- International Cricketer Sushma Verma has been honoured with DSP post by HP Govt. She belongs to Shimla dist. of Himachal.
- HP Govt. Announced 4% Reservation Quota to Disabled persons in Govt. Services.
- HP became the first State in India to issue Electronic Health Cards.
- Mini-Sectariate building at Solan Inagurated by CM.
- Kandi-Bhatlahari-Garni Drinking water Project of Nagrota-Bagwan Kangra inagurated.
- 100 Crore Rupee is granted for “Himalayan Circuit project”.
- “Shrikhand Mahadev” book written by Jag Mohan Sharma released by CM.
- Himachal Pradesh Assembly Speaker BBL Butail today said that a National E-Vidhan Academy will be set up in Tapovan in Dharamshala. Ministry of Parliamentary Affairs in have already permitted in principle approval for setting up of the National academy. This academy in Dharamshala will train MPs, MLAs and the staff of such institutions from different states in the country.
- Himachal Pradesh signed Memorandum of Understanding with National Thermal Power Corporation and National Hydel Power Corporation for hydro engineering college at BandlaDhar, Bilaspur, HP.
- HP High Court asked state government to establish separate homes for differently-abled people.
- 71st Independence Day was celebrated with enthusiasm and gaiety throughout Himachal Pradesh. Functions were organised at State, District and Sub-Divisional levels to mark the occasion. Unfurling National Flag, impressive march-past by contingents of Police, Home Guards, NCC, ITBP and cultural programmes were main attractions of the celebrations. People in large number in their traditional attire had started to assemble the venue of functions early morning to witness the celebration.
- Himachal Pavilion will showcase the rich and unique culture of Himachal Pradesh during the Independence Day Function to be held at Red Fort, New Delhi on 15th August Artists of 12 districts of the State in colourful traditional attires would participate in the function. A review meeting in this regard chaired by the Resident Commissioner A P Singh was held at Himachal Bhawan at New Delhi today.
- Governor Acharya Dev Vrat today launched the mobile app ‘My city’ of Amar Ujala daily from Raj Bhawan. The app will provide breaking news, besides information about Shimla town, especially hospitals, police stations, famous tourist places and bus and taxi services etc.
- A special campaign has been started in district Shimla today with the aim of reaching the achievements of the tenure of the present State Government. As part of the campaign being run by the district government in every Panchayat being welfare policies and promotion through folk media programs spread.
|Revision: General Tit-bits of HP|
|· Minimum daily wages are now Rs. 210 from Rs. 150 in HP
· Financial assistance towards the marriage of daughter of war widows been increased from Rs. 15,000 to Rs. 50,000
· Samman Rashi of widows of freedom fighters been increased to Rs. 5,000/month from Rs. 15,000/annum
· Social Security Pension been increased from Rs. 450/month to Rs. 700/month. It will benefit
3, 89,168 old aged, widows & physically challenged persons.
· Marriage grants for persons with disabilities have been increased from Rs. 25,000 to Rs. 50,000.
· Subsidy under various Housing Schemes has been increased from Rs. 48,500 to Rs. 1,30,000
· Rajiv Ann Yojana: about 37 Lac people covered for getting 3 Kg Wheat (@Rs2) and 2 Kg Rice (@ Rs. 3)
· Rs. 321 core project is underway for Diversification of Agriculture
· 5,28,674 Soil health Cards & 7,14,221 Kisan Credit cards have been distributed
· 3.65 lakh Farmers have been associated under WBCIS ( Weather Based Crop Insurance Scheme)
· 80% subsidy is being given under Mukhya Mantri Khet Sanrakshan Yojna for fencing fields from stray animals
· Under Dr. Y S Parmar Kisan Swarozgar Yojna some 3,050 poly houses have been constructed.
· A Rs. 1,134 crore project for Horticulture development has started.
· Anti Hail net subsidy has been increased from 50% to 80%.
· Health expenditure is 1.43% of SGDP, which is second highest in the country.
· Himachal Pradesh is first in South East Asia to launch electronic health card.
· Evaluation of poly House Scheme under Pt. Deen Dayal Kisan Bagwan Samridhi Yojana.
· HP is the first state to start DBT in MGNREGA.
· Middle Merit / Medhavi Chatarvrtee Yojna @ Rs.800 per annum per boy / girl.
· Under Mahatma Gandhi Vardi Yojana two sets of uniform is being provided for class 1st to 10th with rate 200 as stitches charges per year.
· Two Hi-Tech fish landing centres at Kasol & Barrel in Koldam Reservoir are being constructed with an expenditure of Rs. 60 lakh during the year 2016-17.
· Fruits under Market Intervention Scheme: Mango, Apple, Kinnow, Malta, Orange & Galgal.
· RUDSETIs (Rural Development & Self Employment Training Institute at Shimla, Una & Kangra.
· Entry Tax has been reduced from 0.25% to 0.10% on precious metals.
CURRENT AFFAIRS NATIONAL & INTERNATIONAL
- India will host Global Conference on Cyber Space (GCCS) 2017, the world’s largest conference on Cyber Space and related issues at New Delhi in November 2017. The theme for the GCCS 2017 is “Cyber 4 All: An Inclusive, Sustainable, Developmental, Safe and Secure Cyberspace”.
- According to recently released OECD-FAO Agricultural Outlook 2017-2026 report, India is the world’s third-biggest exporter of beef. Brazil was ranked as the world’s top beef exporter followed by Australia.
- The Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi has apprised Joint Declaration of Intent (JDI) between on Indo German-Centre for Sustainability (IGCS). The JDI was concluded in Berlin, Germany. The objective of JDI on IGCS is to promote cooperation between German and Indian scientists on fundamental and applied scientific research.
- Former Union Minister Ashwani Kumar was conferred with the Japan’s imperial decoration ‘Order of the Rising Sun’ award for his contribution to fostering Japan-India ties. The Order of the Rising Sun is the highest category of decoration of Japan.
- Oil Block 128 is the oil block that was given on lease to ONGC Videsh Limited (OVL) for oil explorations in South China Sea by Vietnam. The Oil Block 128 is part of 9 dash line of China, the region claimed by China in South China Sea.
- The World Hepatitis Day is being observed every year on July 28 around the world by World Health Organisation (WHO) to spread awareness about viral hepatitis. This year the theme of the Day is – “Eliminate Hepatitis”.
- The International Tiger Day (also known as Global Tiger Day) is celebrated every year on 29 July to raise awareness for tiger conservation. The International Tiger Day was founded in 2010 at the St. Petersburg Tiger Summit.
- The Central Board of The Union Ministry of Minority Affairs has launched Jiyo Parsi Publicity Phase-2 in Mumbai, Maharashtra under the Jiyo Parsi scheme. Jiyo Parsi scheme is a Central Sector Scheme.
- Sagar Vani: An Integrated Information Dissemination System launched. Sagar Vani is an integrated information dissemination system that will serve the coastal community, especially the fishermen community with the advisories and alerts towards their livelihood as well as their safety at Sea.
- NITI Aayog had conducted an evaluation study on ‘Nai Roshni’- the scheme for Leadership Development of Minority Women in 2015-16. The main objective of the study was to assess the impact of the scheme on minority women and to identify policy/ programme impediments in implementation of the scheme.
- The Union Ministry of Rural Development will launch Aajeevika Grameen Express Yojana (AGEY), a sub-scheme under Deendayal Antyodaya Yojana – National Rural Livelihoods Mission (DAY-NRLM). AGEY aims to provide an alternative source of livelihood to members of Self Help Groups (SHGs) by facilitating them to operate public transport services in backward rural areas. It is supported by World Bank.
- The Union Finance Ministry has launched Pradhan Mantri Vaya Vandana Yojana (PMVVY), a pension scheme exclusively for senior citizens aged 60 years and above. Under this scheme, senior citizens will get a guaranteed interest of 8% for 10 years depending upon the investment made by them. Life Insurance Corporation of India (LIC) has been given the sole privilege to operate the scheme.
- Scientists have developed a super strong, flexible Bio-glue for wound healing without causing toxicity. The bio-glue is double-layered hydro gel consisting of an alginate-polyacrylamide matrix supporting an adhesive layer that has positively-charged polymers protruding from its surface.
- The Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) has rolled out Muntra, India’s first unmanned, remotely operated tank at its Chennai lab.
- The Union Ministry of Earth Science has launched “India Quake” application. The mobile app has been developed by the National Centre for Seismology (NCS) for automatic dissemination of earthquake parameter (location, time and magnitude) after the occurrence of earthquakes.
- Researchers San Antonio Catholic University of Murcia, Spain have discovered novobiocin compound that could be used as a potential drug to fight the effects of a Zika virus infection.
- Reliance Defence and Engineering Limited (RDEL) launched the first two Naval Offshore Patrol Vessels (NOPVs) — Shachi and Shruti at their shipyard in Pipavav, Gujarat.
- Scientists from the Indian Institute of Science, Education and Research (IISER), Thiruvananthapuram have developed Gelator that can suck up oil and congeal it.
- The Delhi Metro Railway Corporation (DMRC) has become the world’s first completely ‘green’ Metro system for adhering to green building norms for its residential colonies.
- Lok Sabha passes Indian Institutes of Management Bill, 2017.The Bill declares the IIMs as institutions of national importance. The bill allows IIMs to grant degrees to their students. It also grants them complete autonomy, combined with adequate accountability.
- The Union Ministry of Health and Family Welfare have released Operational Guidelines for Planning and Implementation of Family Participatory Care (FPC) for improving newborn health. Family Participatory Care (FPC) FPC has emerged as an important concept of health care as it provides partnership between health care staff and families in care of sick newborns admitted in the Special Newborn Care Units (SNCU).
- Supreme Court puts end to immediate arrests in dowry cases. The Supreme Court has ruled that the police cannot arrest the accused without conducting a preliminary inquiry under dowry harassment cases. With this, apex court put an end to immediate arrest of the husband and his family members in the dowry harassment cases filed under Section 498A of Indian Penal Code (IPC).The Supreme Court passed the order keeping in view the fact of suspected misuse of the anti-dowry harassment law framed in 1983.
- A four member Committee headed by Vice Chairman, NITI Aayog, which was constituted to examine all options for reforms in the Medical Council of India (MCI) and suggest a way forward, has framed a draft “National Medical Commission (NMC) Bill” which provides for constitution of NMC in place of MCI. It aims to create world class educational system. The bill seeks to repeal Indian Medical Council Act 1956 and be replaced by a body called National Medical Commission
- The Union Cabinet has approved the new wage code bill which will ensure a minimum wage across all sectors by integrating four labour related laws. The proposed legislation is expected to benefit over 4 crore employees across the country. This would ensure a universal minimum wage for all industries and workers, including those getting monthly pay higher than Rs 18,000.
- The National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (NABARD) has signed an Accreditation Master Agreement (AMA) with the Green Climate Fund (GCF). With this, NABARD becomes the first Indian organisation to get Direct Access Entity status of the GCF. The GCF is based in the new Songdo district of Incheon, South Korea.
- The Codex Alimentarius Commission (CAC) has adopted three Codex standards for black, white and green pepper, cumin and thyme. It is for first time pepper, cumin and thyme, spices will have such universal standards. The Codex Alimentarius (Food Code) is a collection of standards, guidelines and codes of practice adopted by the CAC.
- The 18th anniversary of Kargil Vijay Diwas was celebrated across India to commemorate the success of Operation Vijay and remember brave sacrifice of Indian soldiers during the 1999 India-Pakistan Kargil War. The Army declared the mission successful on July 26, 1999. Since then the day has been celebrated annually as Vijay Diwas.
- Ram Nath Kovind sworn in as 14th President of India with this he became the second Dalit President of India after late President K.R. Narayanan.
- The GST Council has formed a Selection Committee under the Chairmanship of Cabinet Secretary to identify and recommend eligible persons for appointment as the Chairman and Members of the National Anti-profiteering Authority under GST. The constitution of the National Anti-profiteering Authority is expected to bolster consumer confidence and ensure all stakeholders reap the intended benefits of GST.
- The International Monetary Fund (IMF) in its July World Economic Outlook (WEO) Update has retained India’s projected GDP growth rate at 7.2% for 2017-18, slightly up from 7.1% in the previous year.
- The Central Board of The Union Ministry of Minority Affairs has launched Jiyo Parsi Publicity Phase-2 in Mumbai, Maharashtra under the Jiyo Parsi scheme. Jiyo Parsi scheme is a Central Sector Scheme. Its main objective is to reverse the declining trend of Parsi population by adopting a scientific protocol and structured interventions.
- According to Digital evolution index, India has emerged strong, exhibiting a high potential in terms of digital payments and has been categorized under the “break out” segment among 60 countries. The ‘break out’ segment refers to countries that have relatively lower absolute levels of digital advancement, yet remain poised for growth and are attractive to investors by virtue of their potential.
- In order to establish the IRRI-South Asia Regional Centre (ISARC), a Memorandum of Association (MOA) has been signed between the Department of Agriculture, Cooperation and Farmers Welfare (DAC & FW), DAC&FW and International Rice Research Institute (IRRI), Philippines. The Center will be the first international Center in the eastern Indiaand it will play a major role in harnessing and sustaining rice production in the region.
- According to a report by the CAG, the Centre’s ‘Indradhanush’ scheme to recapitalize public sector banks (PSBs) based on their performance was not implemented in a manner envisaged. Mission Indradhanush is a 7-pronged plan to address the challenges faced by public sector banks (PSBs). Many of the measures taken were suggested by P J Nayak committee on banking sector reforms as indicated.
- The Union government has recently launched a portal which will provide a platform to sell agricultural produce. The e-RaKAM is a first of its kind initiative that leverages technology to connect farmers of the smallest villages to the biggest markets of the world through internet.
- The Union Home Ministry has declared entire Assam state as a disturbed area under the Armed Forces (Special Powers) Act for one more month, citing various violent activities by insurgent groups ULFA, NDFB, and others. The AFSPA was enacted by the parliament in 1958. It grants extra-ordinary powers and immunity to the armed forces to bring back order in the disturbed areas.
- The Constitution (123rd Amendment) Bill, 2017, providing for setting up of a National Commission for Backward Classes, was recently passed by the Rajya Sabha. The Bill was passed after dropping Clause 3. Clause 3 pertains to the insertion of a new article 338B about the constitution and powers of the National Commission for Backward Classes.
- The Union Home Ministry has merged three-decade old National Crime Records Bureau (NCRB) with Bureau of Police Research and Development (BPRD). The merger aims at improving administrative efficiency and optimal utilisation of resources for development works related to policing. It will also boost crime data collection and research efforts.
- Scientists have developed a simple, cheap and environment-friendly system that can effectively remove crude oil from sea that can pollute and even destroy marine ecosystems. The hydrophobic sorbent developed by scientists can suck up oil and congeal it.
- The Haryana government had recently banned the use of liquid nitrogen. The Haryana food and drugs administration department issued an order under section 34 of Food Safety and Standards Act, 2006 (Central Act 34 of 2006). It is also being popular in preparing cocktails, as it can immediately chills glasses of ingredients. It also adds a smoking effect to the drink. Hazards Associated with Liquid Nitrogen Handling are Extreme Cold, Asphyxiation, Oxygen Enrichment, Pressure Buildup and Explosions.
- Scientists have developed a super strong, flexible adhesive material inspired by the glue secreted by slugs that sticks to biological tissues – even when wet – without causing toxicity. The “tough adhesive” is biocompatible and binds to tissues with strength comparable to the body’s own resilient cartilage.
- Indian Institute of Science (IISc) researchers from Bengaluru have developed a highly sensitive, low cost nanometer-scale carbon monoxide (CO) sensor, with potential applications in environmental pollution monitoring.
- Astronomer’s using NASA’s Hubble Space Telescope have found that exoplanet WASP-121b which provides strongest evidence about existence of a stratosphere on it along with glowing water molecules.
- China has successfully produced natural gas from methane hydrate, also known as “flammable ice”, in an experimental project in the South China Sea. Flammable ice consists of methane trapped within water crystals, and has been identified as a potential new gas source. Officially known as methane clathrates or hydrates, they are formed at very low temperatures and under high pressure.
- Law Commission of India released a revised draft of the Bill that is now called The DNA Based Technology (Use and Regulation) Bill, 2017 with some very important changes. The Bill seeks to set up two new institutions — a DNA Profiling Board and a DNA Data Bank.
- A national databank of DNA profiles is proposed to be set up, along with regional databanks in every state, or one for two or more states, as required.
- The ISRO and NASA are jointly working on the NASA-ISRO Synthetic Aperture Radar (NISAR) mission to co-develop and launch a dual frequency (L & S Band) synthetic aperture radar satellite. This earth monitoring satellite is scheduled to be launched in 2021.
- Research conducted on Cycas pschannae, a lone tree found in the Acharya Jagadish Chandra Bose Indian Botanic Garden, West Bengal has revealed two new species of Cycas to the world. This discovery takes the total number of Cycas species found in India to 14.
- Former union minister Muppavarapu Venkaiah Naidu was elected as 13th Vice President of India. M. Venkaiah Naidu emerged victorious by winning 516 votes, whereas opposition nominee Gopalkrishna Gandhi has secured 244 votes.
- Noted economist Dr. Rajiv Kumar will be the new Vice-Chairman of NITI Aayog, which is a think-tank that replaced the Planning Commission. He will succeed Arvind Panagariya.
- The Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) has recently constituted a committee on fair market conduct, which will be headed by former Lok Sabha secretary and law secretary T K Viswanathan.
- The National Handloom Day is being observed every year on 7 August to honour the handloom weavers in the country and also carter an impetus to India’s handloom industry. This year it was third edition of the National Handloom Day. The date August 7 was chosen to commemorate the Swadeshi Movement which was launched on this date in 1905 in the Calcutta Town hall to protest against partition of Bengal by the British Government.
- The Ministry of Human Resource Development is looking to introduce a Bill to amend the Right of Children to Free and Compulsory Education Act, 2009, to enable States to do away with the no-detention policy if they wish. Under this policy, students up to class 8 are automatically promoted to the next class without being held back even if they do not get a passing grade.
- US President has announced his support for a legislation titled the Reforming American Immigration for Strong Employment (RAISE) Act. This act could benefit highly-educated and technology professionals from countries such as India.
- India and US are going to co-host the Global Entrepreneurship Summit at Hyderabad, Telangana from 28th to 30th November 2017. The Summit will serve as a unique opportunity for bringing together entrepreneurs and startups with global leaders.
- India and Russia for first time are going to conduct Indra tri-services exercise, involving their armies, navies and the air forces in October 2017 to further ramp up military ties. It will be for the first time India will participate in a tri-services exercise with a foreign country with such large scale participation by Army, Navy and Air Force. The 2017 Indra exercise will be held in Russia including in mountainous Vladivostok region.
- The India-ASEAN Youth Summit began in Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh to commemorate 25th anniversary of Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN)–India dialogue partnership in the ongoing year. The five day Summit will commemorative this year’s theme of “Shared Values, Common Destiny”. Madhya Pradesh was chosen for this event as the Sanchi stupa located here strengthens the state’s cultural affiliation with the ASEAN countries.
- Indian Ocean Naval Symposium’s (IONS) maiden International Maritime Search and Rescue Exercise (IMMSAREX) will be held in November 2017 in the Bay of Bengal under the chairmanship of Bangladesh.
- The International Youth Day is observed across the world on 12 August to draw attention to a given set of cultural and legal issues surrounding youth. The theme for this year is ‘Youth Building Peace‘.
- The 15th edition of Bay of Bengal Initiative for Multi-Sectoral Technical and Economic Cooperation (BIMSTEC) ministerial meeting was held in Kathmandu, Nepal.
- Anti-dumping duty is in force on 93 products including chemicals and machinery items imported from China. The other Chinese products on which India has imposed this duty include steel and other metals, fibres and yarn, rubber or plastic, electric and electronics and consumer goods.
- RBI has announced the creation of a panel to consider creation of a Public Credit Registry (PCR) operated by the regulator. The PCR will be an extensive database of credit information for India that is accessible to all stakeholders. The idea is to capture all relevant information in one large database on the borrower and, in particular, the borrower’s entire set of borrowing contracts and outcomes.
- The Second volume of Economic Survey 2016-17 has proposed Transparency of Rules Act (TORA), a progressive legislation to end any asymmetry of information regarding rules and regulations faced by an average citizen. The objective of TORA is to help citizens overcome an opaque mesh of complicated rules that often leads to corruption and endless litigation.
- The Government has introduced in the Lok Sabha ‘The Code on Wages’ Bill to consolidate and amend the laws relating to wages and bonus which also seeks to empower the Centre to fix a “universal minimum wage” aimed to benefit over 40 crore unorganised sector workers.
- The Union Cabinet has cleared a proposal to extend proxy voting to overseas Indians by amending electoral laws. Proxy voting is a form of voting whereby a member of a decision-making body may delegate his or her voting power to a representative, to enable a vote in absence. If this proposal passes in Parliament, NRIs will be able to exercise their voting rights through “proxy”. Currently, only service personnel are permitted to vote through proxy.
- The Rajya Sabha has passed the Banking Regulation (Amendment) Bill, which empowers the Reserve Bank of India to issue instructions to the banks to act against major defaulters. The Bill, earlier passed by the Lok Sabha, will replace the Banking Regulation (Amendment) Ordinance, 2017.
- The National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (Amendment) Bill, 2017 to enable exit of RBI from NABARD and increase authorised capital of the development institution six times to Rs 30,000 crore was recently passed by the Lok Sabha.
- India’s first private sector missile sub-systems manufacturing facility, a joint venture between Kalyani Group and Israel’s Rafael Advanced Defence Systems Ltd., was recently inaugurated near Hyderabad.
- Researchers form CSIR-Institute of Genomics and Integrative Biology (CSIR-IGIB) and National Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) have developed an ultrasensitive DNA chip based sensor for quick pathogen detection.
- Scientists from US have developed the world’s first plant-based Zika vaccine that may be more effective, safer and cheaper than other vaccines against the mosquito-borne Zika virus. The vaccine was developed using proteins derived from Tobacco plant. Currently, there are no licensed vaccines or therapeutics available to combat Zika.
- Researchers form CSIR-Institute of Genomics and Integrative Biology (CSIR-IGIB) and National Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) have developed an ultrasensitive DNA chip based sensor for quick pathogen detection.
- ICGS Shaurya is an offshore patrol vessel designed and built indigenously by Goa Shipyard Ltd (GSL). It will be based at Chennai under administrative and operational control of Commander Coast Guard Region (East).
- According to report released by parliamentary standing committee government’s new system of rating officers on the basis of a 360-degree approach is opaque and susceptible to bias, manipulation and lacks fairness. The 360-degree approach is a new multi-source feedback system for performance appraisal of bureaucrats started by the current government for future postings.
- The Union Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MEITY) has announced that the first phase of National Cyber Coordination Centre (NCCC) has become operational. NCCC has been set up to scan the country’s web traffic to detect cyber security threats. It scans the cyberspace in the country for cyber security there at metadata level to generate situational awareness.
- Ministry of Health and Family Welfare has launched its 2nd round of National Deworming Day (NDD) 2017 in 33 States/UTs targeting. The NDD program has been launched in 2015 as WHO estimates that 220 million children below 14 years of age are at risk of STH infections in India.
- Former Union Minister M Venkaiah Naidu was sworn in as 13th Vice President of India. After the swearing in he took charge as the Chairman of Rajya Sabha. He was elected as the Vice President after defeating opposition candidate Gopal Krishna Gandhi. Muppavarapu Venkaiah Naidu belongs to Nellore district of Andhra Pradesh.
- Prasoon Joshi appointed as new chairman of CBFC. He will replace Pahlaj Nihalani and shall have tenure of three years.
- Ruth Pfau, popularly known as Pakistan’s Mother Teresa has passed away, she hailed from Germany.
- Milkha Singh the legendary athlete has been appointed as the World Health Organization’s (WHO) Goodwill Ambassador for physical activity in the South-East Asia Region (SEAR).
- The International Biodiesel Day (IBD) is celebrated every year on August 10 in a bid to create awareness about non fossil-fuels (Green Fuels). The day also honours the research experiments by Sir Rudolf Diesel who ran an engine with peanut oil in the year of 1893.
- India has ratified the second commitment period of the Kyoto Protocol that commits countries to contain the emission of greenhouse gases, reaffirming its stand on climate action. The Kyoto Protocol to the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change was adopted in 1997 by the third Conference of the Parties in Kyoto (Japan).
- Money in Swiss Banks: India slips to 88th & UK on top.
- New Israeli flower named after PM Modi. Israeli chrysanthemum flower will now be called “MODI”.
- Italy passes bill to make torture illegal.
- Mumbai’s “Vikrikar Bhawan” renamed as “GST Bhawan”.
- “Man Ki Baat – A Social Revolution on Radio” launched. This book is written by Rajesh Jain.
- Men’s world Boxing Championship 2021 will be held in India.
- Shikha Sharma appointed as Axis bank MD.
- Project “Jal Sanchay” is related to Bihar.
- Kolkata to get India’s first underwater Metro.
- India emerged as 7th largest exporter of agri- products globally.
- Indian Oil bags World Petroleum Congress Excellence award.
- Bolivia declared total independence from World Bank & IMF.
- Kerala to host literary festival with “Tolerance” as theme.
- India third largest terror target after Iraq & Afganistan: US Report.
- China is building world’s first Vertical Forest City.
- “Operation Muskan” launched by Odisha Govt. to rescue Odisha’s missing Children.
- Lilly Singh appointed UNICEF’S Global Goodwill ambassador.
- Sanjay Kothari appointed Secretary to new President.
- Ashok Malik appointed as Press secretary to new president.
- Australia joins recently ISA. ISA (International Solar Alliance) co-led by India-France started in 2015 in Perris.
- IROAF won Golden Peacock award 2017, because of use of CNG (Compressed Natural Gas).
- India emerges as top trusted Govt. in the world, Greece is at least point.
- Andhra Pradesh, Telangana & Gujarat tops in EoDB.
- India to invite heads of 10 ASEAN nations for Republic Day Celebration in 2018.
- National strategic plan for Malaria elimination targeted from 2017 to 2022.
- 3rd village adopted by N.Modi under Sansad Adarsh Gram Yojana is Kakrahia.
MCQs BASED ON CURRENT AFFAIRS
- Which country is hosting the 41st annual UNESCO World Heritage Committee conference?
[B] United States
- India’s biggest Global Skill Park will be set up in which city?
- The Tadoba Andhari Tiger Reserve (TATR) is located in which state?
[A] Tamil Nadu
- The 2017 Indo-Thai joint military exercise “Maitree” has started in which Indian state?
[A] Himachal Pradesh
[B] Uttar Pradesh
[C] Andhra Pradesh
- The 2017 Dree festival has recently celebrated in which state of India?
[C] Arunachal Pradesh
- Which city is hosting the 12th edition of G-20 Summit 2017?
- What is the India’s rank in the 2017 Global Cybersecurity Index (GCI)?
- India’s first university only for Dalit students will come up in which city?
- Who among the following has been appointed as the new vice-chairman of the government think tank NITI Aayog?
[A] Vivek Debroy
[B] Dr. Rajiv Kumar
[C] Dr. Vinod Paul
[D] Amitabh Kant
- Which Indian city has been declared as a World Heritage City (WHC) by UNESCO?
[C] New Delhi
- What is the theme of the 2017 World Population Day (WPD)?
[A] Be counted: say what you need
[B] Investing in teenage girls
[C] Vulnerable populations in emergencies
[D] Family Planning- Empowering People, Developing Nations
People, Developing Nations]
- Which state government has formed committee to study legalities for separate state flag?
[C] Tamil Nadu
[D] West Bengal
- IROAF has won the 2017 Golden Peacock Award for Eco Innovation. What does “IROAF” stands for?
[A] Indian Railways Organization for Alternate Fuel (IROAF)
[B] Indian Railways Organization for Advanced Fuel (IROAF)
[C] Indian Railways Organization for Alter Fuel (IROAF)
[D] None of the above
- Which country has been selected by IUCN for the construction of the world’s first Saola (an endangered mammal breeding) centre?
[C] South Africa
- Which state has become the first Indian state to make social boycott a crime?
[D] Andhra Pradesh
- Who is the author of the book “Narendra Modi: The Making of a Legend”?
[A] Sanjay Mathur
[B] Bindeshwar Pathak
[C] Aditya Sen
[D] Mohan Chauhan
- Indian Railways has launched an integrated mobile app “Rail Saarthi” for railway passengers. What does “Saarthi” stands for?
[A] Synergised Advanced Application Rail Travel Help and Information
[B] Synchronic Advanced Application Rail Travel Help and Information
[C] Synchronous Advanced Application Rail Travel Help and Information
[D] Synergic Advanced Application Rail Travel Help and Information
- What is the theme of 2017 World Youth Skills Day (WYSD)?
[A] Skills for Youth
[B] Skills Development for Peace
[C] Skills Development to Improve Youth Employment
[D] Skills for the Future of Work
- Who is the head of the 9-judge Constitution bench of the Supreme Court (SC) to determine whether privacy is a fundamental right or not under the Constitution?
[A] Abhay Manohar Sapre
[B] J S Khehar
[C] Sanjay Kishan Kaul
[D] Fali Nariman
- Which mobile app has been launched by UIDAI to carry unique identification profile on mobile?
[A] mAadhaar app
[B] myAadhaar app
[C] dAadhaar app
[D] uAadhaar app
- The 1817 Paika rebellion was held in which Indian state?
[A] Uttar Pradesh
- Which new pension scheme has been launched by the Union Government for the senior citizens?
[A] Pradhan Mantri Vaya Vandana Yojana (PMVVY)
[B] Pradhan Mantri Vaya Varun Yojana (PMVVY)
[C] Pradhan Mantri Vaya Vradh Yojana (PMVVY)
[D] Pradhan Mantri Vaya Vaman Yojana (PMVVY)
- Who has been appointed as secretary to President-elect Ram Nath Kovind?
[A] Sanjay Kothari
[B] Pankaj Kumar
[C] Ashok Malik
[D] Gopal Mudaliar
- The Union government has recently launched “Jiyo Parsi Publicity Phase-2” scheme in which state?
[C] Madhya Pradesh
- What is the theme of the 2017 World Day against Trafficking in Persons?
[A] Protect rights of human trafficking victims
[B] Eliminate human trafficking
[C] Unite to eradicate human trafficking
[D] Act to protect and assist trafficked persons
- The 2017 Global Tiger Day (GTD) is observed on which date?
[A] July 28
[B] July 29
[C] July 27
[D] July 30
- Which country has successfully launched satellite-carrying rocket “Simorgh” into space?
- The 18th anniversary of ‘Kargil Vijay Diwas’ has celebrated on which day in India?
[A] July 25
[B] July 24
[C] July 26
[D] July 22
- The Sri Venkateshwara National Park is located in which state?
[A] Andhra Pradesh
[D] Tamil Nadu
- In context of international taxation, abbreviation ‘BEPS’ stands for:
[A]. Base Estimation and Profit Shifting
[B]. Base Erosion and Profit Scaling
[C]. Base Estimation and Profit Scaling
[D]. Base Erosion and Profit Shifting
- Which among the following has become third Indian State to be ‘Open Defecation Free’ (ODF)?
- The Yelagiri summer festival has started in which state?
[A] Tamil Nadu
[D] West Bengal
- Which is the only Indian monument to figure in the world’s top 10 Trip Advisor’s Travelers’ Choice awards for Landmarks?
[A] Taj Mahal
[B] Gateway of India
[C] Qutab Minar
[D] Swaminarayan Akshardham
- What is the 2017 theme of World No Tobacco Day (WNTD)?
[A] Tobacco: deadly in any form or disguise
[B] Tobacco – a threat to development
[C] Tobacco kills, don’t be duped
[D] Tobacco: deadly for human development
- Which committee has been formed by the Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) on corporate governance?
[A] Uday Kotak committee
[B] Naysa Modi committee
[C] Tejas Muthusamy committee
[D] Saketh Sundar committee
- Who has been sworn-in as the new Prime minister of Nepal?
[A] Bam Bahadur Kunwar
[B] Sher Bahadur Deuba
[C] Tribhuvan Bir Bikram Shah
[D] Kirti Nidhi Bista
- Which city is hosting the 2017 Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO) summit?
- The first-ever Indian Railways Human Resources Round Table Conference has started in which city?
[A] New Delhi
- Which Indian personality has been selected for France’s highest civilian award “Legion of Honour”?
[A] Amitabh Bachchan
[B] Shahrukh Khan
[C] Soumitra Chatterjee
[D] Kamal Hasan
- The World Day Against Child Labour is observed on which date?
[A] June 12
[B] June 11
[C] June 13
[D] June 10
- Which expert committee has been constituted to study free movement along Myanmar border?
[A] V. Shashank Shekhar committee
[B] S. Jayaraman committee
[C] Rina Mitra committee
[D] Satyendra Garg committee
- Which country will be the co-partner country in the world’s biggest food fair “ANUGA 2017” to be held in Germany in October 2017?
- Who has become the first Indian woman to be elected as judge of the International Tribunal for the Law of the Sea (ITLOS)?
[A] Nirmila Randhawat
[B] Aniruddha Rajput
[C] Neeru Chadha
[D] Nidhi Bhandari
- Who is the author of the book “Yug Purush, Bharat Ratna, Atal Ji”?
[A] Ramesh Pokhriyal
[B] Praveen Kumar Pandey
[C] Ramesh Datt Dikisht
[D] Nerraj Srivastava
- P N Bhagwati, who passed away recently, was associated with which field?
[D] Film Industry
- Who has won the 2017 Man Booker International Prize?
[A] Ian Samsom
[B] David Grossman
[C] Roy Jacobsen
[D] Amos Oz
- The Union Government has launched VAJRA scheme to attract Indian scientists abroad. What does “VAJRA” stands for?
[A] Viable Advanced Joint Research Faculty
[B] Visiting Advanced Joint Research Faculty
[C] Visage Advanced Joint Research Faculty
[D] Viral Advanced Joint Research Faculty
- Which state government of India has won the prestigious UN Public Service Award for the year 2017?
[A] West Bengal
- Who has been appointed the head of the reconstituted Oversight Committee (OC) of RBI for faster bad loan resolution?
[A] Pradeep Kumar
[B] Janki Ballabh
[C] M.B.N. Rao
[D] Y.M. Deosthalee
- The Election Commission of India (ECI) has collaborated with which social media platform to launch nationwide “Voter Registration Reminder”?
1: A [Poland]
2: A [Bhopal]
3: C [Maharashtra
4: A [Himachal Pradesh]
5: C [Arunachal Pradesh]
6: A [Hamburg, Germany]
7: D [23rd]
8r: B [Hyderabad]
9: B [Dr. Rajiv Kumar]
10: B [Ahmedabad]
11: D [Family Planning- Empowering
12: A [Karnataka]
13:A [Indian Railways Organization for Alternate Fuel (IROAF)]
14: A [Vietnam]
15: B [Maharashtra]
16: B [Bindeshwar Pathak]
17r: A [Synergised Advanced Application Rail Travel Help and Information
18: D [Skills for the Future of Work]
19r: B [J S Khehar]
20: A [mAadhaar app]
21: B [Odisha]
22: A [Pradhan Mantri Vaya Vandana Yojana (PMVVY)]
23: A [Sanjay Kothari
24: A [Maharashtra]
25: D [Act to protect and assist trafficked persons]
26: B [July 29]
27: D [Iran]
28: C [July 26]
29: A [Andhra Pradesh
30 – [D].Base Erosion and Profit Shifting
31: [D]. Kerala
32: A [Tamil Nadu]
33 : A [Taj Mahal]
34: B [Tobacco – a threat to development]
35: A [Uday Kotak committee]
36: B [Sher Bahadur Deuba]
37: B [Astana]
38: A [New Delhi]
39: C [Soumitra Chatterjee]
40: A [June 12]
41: C [Rina Mitra committee]
42: C [India]
43: C [Neeru Chadha]
44: A [Ramesh Pokhriyal]
45: A [Law]
46: B [David Grossman]
47: B [Visiting Advanced Joint Research Faculty]
48 : A [West Bengal]
49: A [Pradeep Kumar]
50: B [Facebook]
|Rivers in Himachal|
|Analysis of HAS Exam held on 25 June|
|Current Affairs: July 2017|
|Crux of Current affairs: 2016-17 (Himachal)|
|HP: State & Central Schemes|
|HP Economic Survey|
|Crux of Current affairs: 2016-17 (National/International)|
|Awards/ & Books (2016-17)|
|Venue of Events|
|Rankings of India on various Indices/Reports|
|Timeline of Environment related Treaties|
|Major Govt. Committees|
|International organization & their HQs|
|Religious & Social Movements|
|Viceroys from 1876 till Independence|
|GST launch in India: Genesis & Implications|
|ISRO: History & Recent Achievements|
|Census of India 2011: Powerpoints|
|Defence Exercises of India with other countries|
|Species in India: Lister under ICUN|
|Important International Boundaries|
|Nuclear Power Plants|
|HP History: Kangra Snapshot|
|How to prepare for an Essay|
|MCQ for NT Exam: HP based topics|
|Power Points on Gandhi|
• Indian Immunologicals Ltd recently unveiled a vaccine to fight against tapeworms in pigs. The name of the vaccine is – CYSVAX
• The theme of the 2016 World Osteoporosis Day is – Love Your Bones: Perfect Your Future
• The country defeated by India to win the 2016 Kabaddi World Cup is – Iran
• The Formula One driver who won the 2016 United States Grand Prix is – Lewis Hamilton
• Two Indian Coast Guard Ships were recently commissioned into Indian Coast Guard. They are christened as – ICGS Aryaman and Atulya
• Two doctors each from the AIIMS and the Sir Ganga Ram Hospital were selected for the prestigious Dr Bidhan Chandra Roy Award for excellence in the field of medicine. The award was instituted in the year – 1976
• The United Nations Day was recently celebrated on – 24 October 2016
• Smooth-coated otter was sighted for first time in Krishna Wildlife Sanctuary, which is located in-Andhra Pradesh
• Bollywood actor selected for the Yash Bharti Awards 2016- Naseeruddin Shah
• State that organises the Yash Bharti Awards that are conferred for excellence in literature, fine arts, folk and classical music and sports- Uttar Pradesh.
- “ONE INDIA” for ease of doing business.
- Under this model, the processes will be simplified to an extent where investors will need to fill only a single e-form for investing and doing business anywhere in India.
- A Guarantee Agreement for World Bank (IBRD) lending of US$ 650 million to the Dedicated Freight Corridor Corporation of India Ltd. (DFCCIL) for Eastern Dedicated Freight Corridor-III (EDFC-III) Project has been signed between the Government of India and the World Bank.
- NABARD has sanctioned loan worth Rs. 19,702 crore to National Water Development Agency (NWDA) for 50 irrigation projects from 11 States under Long Term Irrigation Fund (LTIF). It is part of the government’s vision to double the farmers’ income by 2022.
- The Centre has unveiled a regional connectivity scheme, known as UDAN (Ude Desh ka Aam Nagrik), with flights priced at Rs.2,500 for one hour of flying time to and from regional airports.
• Union Government has held tripartite talks with Kuki National Organisation (KNO) and United People’s Front (UPF) of Manipur to find – an amicable solution to their long standing demand
• The Giant Metre-wave Radio Telescope that tracked the landing of a European Space Agency’s spacecraft on a Mars mission is located at – Khodad near Pune
• Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated the state of art international terminal at Harni airport in – Vadodara
• The country that formally begun the process of withdrawing from the International Criminal Court (ICC) is – South Africa
• India’s rank in the FIFA ranking that was released on 20 October 2016 is – 137
• The Police Commemoration Day is observed on – 21 October
• The secretary-general of Japan Gymnastics Association elected as the President of the International Gymnastics Federation is – Morinari Watanabe
• The city that recently bestowed honorary citizenship on Dalai Lama is – Milan
• The author of the book titled The Adivasi Will Not Dance is – Hansda Sowendra Shekhar
• The author of the book Andhere Se Ujale Ki Aur – Arun Jaitley
• Typhoon that killed at least four people in Philippines after lashing the country is – Super Typhoon Haima
• The team that won the World Railway Shooting Championship Cup is – Indian Railways
• The Indian Boxing Council was recently inducted into the World Boxing Organisation with voting rights. The headquarters of World Boxing Organisation are located at – San Juan, Puerto Rico
• The Union Ministry of Road Transport and Highways made it mandatory for all automobile manufacturers to provide emission and noise pollution details for every vehicle they produce. In this regard, the ministry has notified amendment of – Form 22 under the Central Motor Vehicles Act
• The state that has increased the retirement age of doctors to 65 years is – Haryana
• The VoICE.NET, which launched at first ever Global Conference on Voter Education, is – a Global Knowledge Network on voter education
• Sino India Cooperation 2016, a joint tactical exercise, between Indian and China was recently held in – Ladakh
• In a bid to make the North East a power surplus region, the company that will commission two power projects of 710 megawatt in Arunachal Pradesh is 2917 is – North Eastern Electric Power Corporation Limited (NEEPCO)
• The International Union for Conservation of Nature is all set to declare the Kashmiri Red Stag, also known as, Hangul to declare it as – a Critically Endangered species
• The mammal whose milk contains an arsenal of antimicrobial compounds, as per a recent research, that can kill several drug-resistant superbugs is – Tasmanian devil
• The Election Commission’s first ever International Conference on Voter Education was held in –New Delhi
• The World Bank has pledged 2 billion US dollars aid to tackle climate change to – Bangladesh
• The country that recently executed a Prince for shooting a man during a brawl is – Saudi Arabia
• Human rights activist Irom Sharmila on 18 October 2016 announced the formation of her political party named – Peoples Resurgence and Justice Alliance (PRJA)
• India completed its nuclear triad by inducting country’s first indigenously-constructed nuclear submarine named – INS Arihant into service
• The company that recently launched India’s first indigenous electric bus is – Ashok Leyland
• The country that will host the fresh round of peace talks on Syria crisis is – Britain
• Person appointed as India’s Ambassador to UN Conference on Disarmament, Geneva recently-Amandeep Singh Gill
• Country ranked as the safest place as per Global Travel and Terrorism Report 2016 of World Economic Forum- Finland
• Cricket team of which country recently became the world first team to play 900 ODIs- India
• Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched the national SC/ST hub and zero effect on environment scheme for MSME sector in – Ludhiana, Punjab
• In an honour for an Indian sportsperson, who was appointed as a member of the International Olympic Committee’s (IOC) Athletes’ Commission is – Saina Nehwal
• State government that will roll out biometrics authentication for receiving food grains for beneficiaries of National Food Security Act (NFSA) from January 2017 in the state is – Odisha
• Kigali Agreement that was reached by more than 170 countries in October seeks to – 1987 Kyoto Protocol
• China successfully launched a manned spacecraft that carried carrying two astronauts into the space is – Shenzhou-11
• Anupriya Patel, Minister of State for Health and Family Welfare, recently inaugurated National Summit on Fortification of Food in – New Delhi
• Person selected for the Mathrubhumi Literary Award 2016– C Radhakrishnan
• China in October 2016 signed 26 agreements and MoUs in fields of power and energy, information technology, investment, disaster management and culture with- Bangladesh
• Russia’s Rosneft Oil Company and its partners in October 2016 acquired– Essar Oil Limited
• Recently, around 25 people were killed and various were injured in a stampede near Rajghat bridge in- Varanasi
• Theme of World Food Day 2016- Climate is changing. Food and agriculture must too
• The theme for 2016 BRICS Summit was – Building Responsive, Inclusive and Collective Solutions
• The 2016 BRICS Summit concluded with adoption of Goa Declaration that says – it is the responsibility of all states to prevent terrorist actions from their territories
• The ninth BRICS Summit will be hosted by China in – 2017
• Government constituted seven-member expert committee that said that the Saraswati River was not mythical and it existed was headed by – Professor K.S. Valdiya
• International Day for the Eradication of Poverty was observed on 17 October 2016 with theme –Moving from humiliation and exclusion to participation: ending poverty in all its forms
• India signed agreement for cooperation in the field of water resources, including innovations in irrigation technology with – Hungary
• Indian boxer who retained his welterweight Asia title by outpunching Australian Ben Kite in New Delhi is – Neeraj Goyat
• Indian shuttler who clinched the men’s singles title at the Chinese Taipei Open badminton is –Sourabh Verma
The one liners of the week cover important current affairs like India to eliminate a potent greenhouse gas, Great Balls of Fire detected and 2016 Nobel Prize among others.
• The country that formally joined China’s One-Belt One Road Initiative and has elevated its bilateral relationship with China to Strategic Partnership agreeing to co-operate in all regional and international issues – Bangladesh
• The theme for the 2016 International Day of Rural Women is – Climate is changing. Food and agriculture must too
• Prime Minister Narendra Modi on 14 October 2016 inaugurated ‘Shaurya Smarak’, the war memorial in – Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh
• The potent greenhouse gas with Global Warming Potential of 14800 whose production will be eliminated in India by 2030 is – HCF-23 gas
• The state that is observing the Safe Motherhood Week from 14 October to 21 October 2016 to decrease the ‘Mother Mortality Rate’ (MMR) and ‘Infant Mortality Rate’ (IMR) is – Uttar Pradesh
• Government of the country decided to quit the Commonwealth is – Maldives
• The country that has frozen its co-operation with the UN’s cultural agency, UNESCO, accusing it of denying Judaism’s connections to the religion’s holiest sites – Israel
• Person appointed as the Director General of Foreign Trade recently- Ajay Kumar Bhalla
• Author of the book titled The Legend Of Lakshmi Prasad- Twinkle Khanna
• CCEA approved the mechanism for revision of ethanol price for supply to Public Sector Oil Marketing Companies (OMCs) to carry out – the Ethanol Blended Petrol (EBP) Programme
• The draft bill of Union Government that seeks to resolve the inter-state disputes over river water sharing is – National Water Framework Bill, 2016
• Theme for 2016 World Sight Day that was observed on 13 October 2016 is – Stronger Together
• The Union Cabinet approved signing of a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between India and Hungary on cooperation in the field of – Water Management
• Author of the book, Jihad in My Saffron Garden is – Dr. Roxy Arora
• The theme for the World Sight Day 2016 is – Stronger Together
• World’s longest reigning monarch Bhumibol Adulyadej recently died at the age of 88. He was the King of – Thailand
• The name of the new book that was recently announced by Arundhati Roy is – The Ministry of Utmost Happiness
• Antonio Guterres who was appointed as the next Secretary-General of the United Nations by the General Assembly is the former Prime Minister of – Portugal
• The researchers at the Indian Institute of Science Education and Research used human hair to produce cost-effective, metal-free cathodes for use in – Solar cells
• He won the 2016 Nobel Prize in Literature – Bob Dylan
• The National Centre for Antarctic and Ocean Research recently established a high altitude research station in Himalaya called HIMANSH. It is located in – Spiti, Himachal Pradesh
• Person appointed as Prime Minister of Morocco recently- Abdelilah Benkirane
• Rank secured by India in the Global Hunger Index (GHI) 2016- 97th
• Philanthropist and wife of Godrej group chairman Adi Godrej who passed away- Parmeshwar Godrej
• Theme of International Day for Disaster Reduction that was observed on 13 October 2016 is –Live to Tell: Raising Awareness, Reducing Mortality
• The winner of the 2016 China Open Men’s Singles title is – Andy Murray
• The winner of the 2016 China Open Women’s Singles title is – Agnieszka Radwanska
• The theme for the 2016 International Day of the Girl Child is – Girls’ Progress = Goals’ Progress: What Counts for Girls
• Sports personality appointed as the Brand Ambassador of Vizag Steel recently- P V Sindhu
• Person appointed as China’s Ambassador to India recently- Luo Zhaohui
• Oliver Hart and Bengt Holmstrom have been awarded the Nobel Memorial Prize in Economic Science for their insights into how best to write contracts, the deals that bind together employers and their workers, or companies and their customers.
• India and Russia have signed a pact to set up 25 integrated infrastructure centers for irradiation treatment of perishable food items to improve shelf life and cut post-harvest losses.
- The United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) has formally elected Antonio Guterres as the new Secretary-General of the United Nations.
- ‘Women of India Festival 2016’ of organic products by women was recently inaugurated in New Delhi.
- The government has launched the Mining Surveillance System (MSS). It uses space technology for curbing illegal mining activity in the country.
- The 21st Law Commission in its first report has recommended a series of changes in the draft Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction Bill-2016, proposed by the Women and Child Development Ministry.
PM Narendra Modi inaugurates 3 Mega Hydro Projects with a generating capacity of 1,732 MW in HP.
- Koldam HEP at Salapad (Mandi) 4*200 MW executed by NTPC.
- Parbati HEP-III stage 530 MW of National Hydro Power Corporation.
- Rampur HEP 412 MW of SJVNL
A high altitude glaciological research station in Himalayas called Himansh (meaning- a slice of ice).
Begin functioning in Spiti (4000 metres).
Himachal Pradesh becomes the first state in the Himalayan region to have a Hazard, Vulnerability and Risk Assessment (HVRA) Atlas.Himachal Pradesh falls in seismic five zone, most vulnerable to earthquakes and natural and man-made disasters
Parwanoo Apple mando goes Online. It is connected with other 21 online Mandis of country.
Subhas chand Raina is appointed as VC of National Law University, Shimla
7 September 2016
Himachal Pradesh to bring 2500 transgenders under social security net and will get apension of Rs. 1,000/momth.. So far, only two states in the country– Odisha and Tamil Nadu, have introduced a pension scheme for the transgender population. (http://indianexpress.com/)
Himachal Pradesh Chief Minister Virbhadra Singh on Wednesday laid the foundation stone of an orphanage – Modern Children Home (Adarsh Balika Grih) at Mashobra
HP Govt amends hydro power policy (TOI)
HP to spend Rs 2292 crore on irrigation, education, etc
Himachal Pradesh assembly gave its nod to the HP Town and Country Planning (HPTCP, Amendment) Bill, 2016
Himachal Pradesh became the fourth state after Bihar, Jharkhand and Assam to ratify the GST Bill.
The Above Poverty Line (APL) families in tribal areas will be provided 35kg ration and all three pulses would be provided to all ration card holders.
Himachal Pradesh has become the first state to start mobile application for availing immediate and easy access to ambulances. State’s Health Minister Kaul Singh Thakur launched the app ‘108 HP’ on Saturday. “The app will make the access to the National Ambulance Service (NAS) much faster and does not require sharing of information such as name and location
Dr. Vivek Chauhan, who is working in the Internal Medicine department of Dr. Rajendra Prasad Government Medical College and Hospital in Kangra (RPGMCH):He developed an IT-based gateway using WhatsApp to transmit ECG images to specialists.
Himachal Pradesh Current Affairs March 2015
HP BUDGET-2016 MAIN HIGHLIGHTS (Courtesy: The Tribune)
- 101 online citizen centric services to be provided by the end of 2016-17.
- Targets set to achieve Sustainable Development Goals by the year 2022.
- Amount of “Vidhayak Kshetriya Vikas Nidhi Yojna” increased to ` 1 crore and discretionary grant raised to 5 lakh.
- ` 210 crore proposed for continuing State Food Subsidy Scheme.
- Amendments in control orders under Essential Commodities Act, 1955 proposed.
- New Scheme “Mukhya Mantri Khet Sanrakshan Yojna” to protect farms from wild animals etc. with an outlay of 25 crore.
- ` 80 crore proposed for promotion of offseason vegetables.
- ` 10 crore proposed for development of Market Yards.
- ` 5 crore earmarked for “Uttam Chara Utpadan yojna”.
- Organic farming will be made more effective and sustainable.
- ` 15 crore proposed for construction of Poly Houses.
- ` 10 crore proposed for “Rajiv Gandhi Micro-Irrigation Scheme”.
- Water Storage Tanks, Flow Schemes and pipes included in 50 percent subsidy scheme under Irrigation .
- ` 15 crore earmarked for Weather Based Crop Insurance Scheme.
- ` 1,115 Crore Himachal Pradesh Horticulture Development Project to be implemented.
- ` 10 crore proposed for purchase of Power Sprayers, Power Tillers and other equipments for farmers.
- 40 percent additional subsidy to honey bees colonies.
- ` 12 crore proposed for importing good quality root stocks and new polliniser varieties.
- 9 lakh square meter area under anti- hail net and 2 lakh square meter will be brought under protected cultivation of high value Vegetables and flowers.
- ` 10 crore earmarked to improve artificial insemination and breed improvement activities.
- ` 25 crore proposed for development of Sheep and Goat.
- Milk procurement price to be enhanced by ` 1 per litre. P. MILK FED to be provided Grant-in-aid of ` 16 crore.
- 60 percent subsidy to set up Milk Processing and Chilling Units for Dairy Cooperative Societies.
- ` 226 crore project proposed to rejuvenate the habitats of wild animals. ODF status of whole Himachal proposed by March, 2017.
- New Scheme “Panchayat Pashu Dhan Puraskar Yojna” under which ` 5 lakh award will be given to 2 best Panchayats, where owners do not abandon their cattle in each Development Block, with an outlay of ` 80 crore.
- New Scheme- “Mukhya Mantri Awas Yojna” to provide housing subsidy of 75 thousand to each house for BPL families of general categories with an outlay of ` 25 crore.
- ` 97 crore earmarked for Rural Housing Schemes.
- ` 130 crore to be released to three tiers of PRIs.
- ` 306 crore to be released to Panchayats under 14th Finance Commission.
- ` 14 crore to be released to Panchayats elected unopposed.
- ` 3 crore for training to elected representatives of PRIs.
- Enhancement of Honorarium of Representatives of PRIs and ULBs.
- ` 10 crore for construction of Alternate Roads in Shimla Town.
- ` 10 crore for construction of Parking for ULBs and ` 10 crore for Children Parks. Special grant of 4.50 crore for Shimla M.C.
- Death caused by electrocution and injuries caused by dog bites, stray and domestic animals covered in Relief Manual.
- New Scheme “Lal Bahadur Shastri Kamgar evam Shahri Ajeevika Yojna” (LAKSHYA) launched in all merged wards of Municipal Corporation and newly created Nagar Panchayats to provide basic civic amenities and livelihood.
- ` 248 crore proposed for Disaster Management.
- ` 338 crore for Minor Irrigation schemes covering 18 thousand hectare to be funded under PMKSY.
- ` 35 crore for installation of Hand Pumps.
- ` 245 crore earmarked for Minor irrigation schemes.
- ` 60 crore allocated to accelerate the completion of Nadaun and Phina Singh Irrigation Projects.
- ` 65 crore for Command Area Development works.
- ` 425 crore earmarked for IPH Department to meet energy charges of water supply and irrigation schemes.
- Capacity addition of 265 MW Hydro power in State Sector in 2016-17.
- 5 MW Solar Hybrid Project to be constructed in Kaza.
- ` 410 crore provided to HPSEBL for subsidising electricity to Domestic and Agriculture Consumers.
- “Himachal Bureau of Investment” to ensure speedy clearances to new investments for employment generation.
- ` 10 crore provided to “State Mission on Food Processing.”
- New Scheme “Chief Minister Start Up/ New Industries Scheme” It includes 4 percent Interest subvention upto a loan of ` 10 lakh. Purchase preference to such industries. Stamp duty at the rate of three percent. No inspection of new industries for three years without permission of Head of the Department. Provisional registration within 15 days etc.
- Consent fees for green and orange industries to be reduced. District Employment Exchanges to be converted into Model Career Guidance Centres.
- Exemption of VAT, Registration Fee and Token Tax for Electric vehicles for five years.
- ` 10 crore for construction of New Bus Stands.
- ` 250 crore provided as grant and equity to HRTC.
- ` 8 crore seed money to establish 4 Transport Nagars in PPP mode.
- ` 50 crore for installation of Steel Crash Barriers.
- New Scheme- “Mukhya Mantri Sadak Yojna.” launched to provide last mile connectivity to villages/habitations with an outlay of “` 50 crore.
- Himachal Pradesh Road Project 2nd Phase worth ` 3,200 crore approved.
- All dealers covered under Group Accidental Insurance scheme and insurance cover enhanced to ` 3 lakh.
- Solar Cooker and Solar lanterns will be exempted from VAT.
- VAT on LED lights reduced from 13.5 to 5 percent.
- Small Traders with turnover upto ` 30 lakh covered under lump-sum tax payment scheme at the rate of 1 percent.
- Dealers up to turnover of ` 50 crore covered under Deemed Assessment Scheme.
- Entry Tax for existing Industry and new industry reduced from 2 percent to 1 percent and 1 percent to half percent respectively.
- Entertainment duty on Ropeways and existing cinema halls reduced to 10 percent.
- No entertainment duty on new cinema halls for five years.
- Meritorious Students of 10th and 12th class to be given 10 thousand Net books under“Rajiv Gandhi Digital Yojna.”
- New Scheme “Mukhya Mantri Shikshak Samman Yojna” under which one year extension in service to teachers who consistently give 100 percent results in Board Examinations for a period of five years in the subjects to be notified by the Education Department.
- New Scheme- “Mukhya Mantri Adarsh Vidyalya Yojna” launched to provide State of Art Infrastructural and Teaching facilities in Two Senior Secondary Schools in each Constituency with an outlay of ` 30 crore.
- New Scheme -“Mukhya Mantri Gyandeep Yojna” launched to provide interest subvention of 4 percent to all Himachali Students availing education loan upto ` 10 lakh.
- New Scheme -“Mukhya Mantri Vardi yojna” launched to provide uniform to students of +1 and +2 classes.
- All the vacant posts of DPE/PET and Drawing Master in Senior Secondary School/High Schools.
- The honorarium of Gram Vidya Upasaks(EGS) doubled.
- Primary Assistant Teachers will be regularized on completion training as per NCTE norms.
- Public Libraries will be strengthened in the State.
- ` 100 crore for Skill Development Allowance.
- Voc. courses in ten Colleges.
- Grant-in-aid for District, State and National level fairs enhanced.
- ` 1 crore earmarked for State Youth Board.
- ` 15 crore for Construction of Multipurpose Indoor Complexes at District Headquarters.
- Grant -in-aid to Sports Associations and Medal winners enhanced.
- ` 1 crore for construction of Press Clubs.
- The prize money of Award for Developmental Journalism
- New Scheme -“Himachal Pradesh Patrakar Kalyan Yojna” launched for welfare of serving and retired accredited Journalists.
- New Scheme -“Himachal Universal Health Protection Scheme.” launched to provide Universal Health Care to the people of Himachal Pradesh.
- New Scheme “Panchayat Balika Gaurav Puruskar” of ` 10 lakh each announced to 15 Panchayats where there will be best female birth rate relative to male birth rate.
- ` 1 Crore for Intramural Research Fund.
- Marriage grant under “Mukhya Manrti Kanya Daan Yojna” increased from ` 25 thousand to ` 40 thousand.
- Stamp duty for registration of house in the name of women to be reduced to three percent.
- Marriage grant of residents of “Nari Seva Sadans” increased from ` 25 thousand to ` 51 thousand.
- Cash grant raised from ` 10 thousand to ` 1 lakh to any person providing credible information about illegal female foeticide.
- Life Insurance cover for Safai Karamcharis and persons working in Sewerage Treatment Plants.
- Social Security Pension increased from ` 600 to ` 650 per month.
- Residential institution for 50 Mentally Challenged Children proposed in Shimla.
- Special hostel having capacity of 150 girls to be made operational at Sundernagar.
- Pension to persons with 70 percent disability and persons aged above 80 years increased from ` 1,100 to ` 1,200 per month.
- New Scheme of Monthly pension of young widows with less than forty five years of age with child/children to be enhanced from ` 600 to ` 1,200 per month.
- The lump-sum grant and annuity to recipients of Paramvir Chakra, Ashok Chakra and Mahavir Chakra to be enhanced.
- ` 5 crore provided for War Memorial Museum at Dharamsala.
- Seven Fire Posts to be opened.
- Remuneration to Home Guards enhanced from ` 280 to ` 350 per day.
- National Law University to be opened near Shimla.
- ` 10 crore for Government contribution to Social Security of unorganized sectors.
- More than 13 thousand functional posts in different departments will be filled up.
- 6 per cent Dearness Allowance & Dearness Relief to the State Government Employees/Pensioners to be released.
- 5 percent Interim Relief to the regular State Government Employees and Pensioners.
- Contract employees completing five years service as on 31 March and 30th September, 2016 to be regularized.
- Enhancement of emoluments of Contract Employees by 50 percent of grade pay.
- Daily Wage increased from ` 180 to `
- Daily Wagers completing seven years of service as on 31st March and 30th September, 2016 will also be regularized.
- Part-Time workers completing 8 years of service as on 31st March, and 30th September, 2016 will be made daily wagers.
- Enhancement in honorarium of Part-time Water Carriers from ` 1,700 to ` 1,900.
- Enhancement of Grant-in-aid to Water Guards from ` 1,350 to ` 1,500.
- Enhancement of honorarium of Tailoring Teachers from ` 2,000 to ` 2,300.
- Grant-in-aid for Panchayat Chawkidars raised from 1,850 to 2,050 per month.
- ` 35 crore for construction of New Government Residential Buildings.
- ` 20 crore for Repair of Government Residential Houses.
- ` 30 crore for Police Housing.
- ` 10 crore for construction of Teshils/Sub-Tehsils and Revenue Housing.
The budget for 2016-17 proposed for ` 32,593 crore.
Himachal Pradesh Current Affairs – GK tit bits FEB 2015
Himachal Pradesh, GJ and Delhi emerge as the most entrepreneur-friendly states as per current entrepreneurial confidence index.
HP, ranks one on the entrepreneurial attitude scale and comes fourth and fifth respectively when it comes to infrastructure support and supportive governance.
Social Services sector has been accorded top priority with allocation of Rs 1,842 crore which was 38.37 per cent of the total plan. state government had proposed an annual plan of Rs 4,800 crore for 2015-16 which was 400 crore higher than the previous annual plan.
On recommendations of 14th Finance Commission, Himachal would get 232 per cent increase in allocation of funds (Rs. 40,625 Crore from Rs. 21,691 crore last time)
HP’s Vijay Kumar won GOLD in 25 meters pistol event, @ 35th National Games
HP Launched 19 Cr. Crime & Criminal Tracking Network System on 11 Feb, which shall connect 114 police stations.
HP was awarded for its outstanding contribution in the field of renewable energy at ‘Renewable Energy Global Investors Meet and Expo’.
200 kilowatt solar power plant has been set up at Baru Sahib University in Sirmaur district.
Himachal Pradesh Current Affairs – GK tit bits JAN 2015
Latest World Bank report Scaling the Heights: Social inclusion and sustainable development is on Himachal Pradesh.
Himachal Pradesh Government has proposed annual plan of Rs 4,800 crore for 2015-16 which was 9 percent more than current year’s Rs 4,400 crore plan. (24 Jan)
Stolen in Dec 2014 & recovered in Jan 2015 after 48 days, “Lord Raghunath” idol was originally brought from Ayodhya in 1637 at Kullu by ruler Raja Jagat Singh.
Kalyan Singh the current Governor of Rajasthan has been asked to take additional charge as Governor of Himachal Pradesh from January 24, 2015.
Eight member panel headed by Mr Shanta Kumar:Food subsidy bill can come down by over ₹30,000 crore a year by reducing beneficiaries to 40% cent under the FSA, and outsourcing major work of FCI to State governments and private players,
HP Govt announced AIIMS at Bilaspur & Central University at Dharamshala
Major fire broke at 120 MW Bhabha hydel project (Kinnaur) an underground station Jan 2015).
Bir-Billing (Near Palampur) shall hold India’s 1st paragliding world Cup from 24-31 Oct 2015.
Great Himalayan National Park (Kullu)added in UNESCO World Heritage list (June 2014).Estd. in 1984 & declared National Park in 1999.
The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA) approved the extension of the special package of industrial incentive for Himachal Pradesh and Uttarakhand till March, 2017.
HP has been honoured with the prestigious ‘Diamond State Award’ for
its tremendous work on the up-liftment and empowerment of the women
Current Affairs highlights for March 2015, Helios Coaching SHIMLA\
Ratan Tata will head the KayaKalp council of Indian RailwaysDefending champions Karnataka clinched their eighth Ranji Trophy title by defeating Tamil Nadu.
BIRAC = Biotechnology Industry Research Assistance council
Kavinder Gupta has been elected as Speaker of the 12th Assembly of Jammu and Kashmir
China has formed Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB), UK, France, Germany & Italy also joined
Supreme Court has rejected the notification issued by Union Government to include Jats in Other Backward Classes (OBC)
Former LS speaker, Meira Kumar’s book entitled “Indian Parliamentary Diplomacy – Speaker’s Perspective” was released
Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Vikas Yojana (PMKVY) is meant to provide skills training to youth across the country
Govt shall merge, Forward Market Commission, with SEBI.
Nobel Laureate Sir Venkatraman Ramakrishnan has been confirmed as President Elect of the Royal Society.
Rajendra Singh has been conferred with 2015 Stockholm Water Prize.
A historic bronze statue of Father of the Nation Mahatma Gandhi was unveiled at the Parliament Square in London.
MC Mary Kom is Brand Ambassador for the North East Region.
India becomes third-largest steel producer in the world by overtaking USA,
Parliament has passed Mines and Minerals (Development and Regulation) Amendment Bill, 2015, Coal Mines (Special Provisions) Bill, 2015, Warehousing Corporations (Amendment) Bill, 2015.
3 March is National Defence day.
8 March is International Women’s Day & International Literacy Day.9 March – World kidney day
15 March is celebrated as World Consumer Rights Day (WCRD).19 March is world disabled day.
World water day -22 March. Theme: “Water and Sustainable Development”. 23 March is world Meteorological day. 24 March is world TB day.
Union Government has launched Pharma Jan Samadhan scheme, for redressal of grievances of consumers related to drug pricing and availability of medicines.
Parliament has passed Insurance Laws (Amendment) Bill, 2015. It was first passed in Lok Sabha on 4 March 2015 and later in Rajya Sabha on 12 March 2015.
Defending champion Karnataka wins Ranji Trophy 2015
1st Kisan Call Centre of North-East region opened in Agartala, Manipur on 09th March 2015.
On 08th March 2015, Bhagyashree Scheme for the girl child launched by the State Government of Maharashtra. Under the scheme every BPL family having a girl child will receive Rs.21000.
India’s first indigenously developed Rotavirus Vaccine namely ‘Rotavac’ launched by the Prime Minister Narendra Modi on 09th March 2015.
On 08th March 2015, All England Badminton Championship won by Carlina Marin of Spain after defeating Saina Nehwal of India.
On 09th March 2015, Veerappa Moily selected for Saraswati Samman for the year 2014. He selected for his poem namely ‘Ramayana Mahanveshanam’ in Kannada language.
Ashwin Mittal appointed as Chief Financial Officer of Walmart India Private Limited on 7th March 2015 succeeded by Jill Anderson.
Golden Gate Award of Silver Prize won by Kerala Tourism on 08th March 2015 for promoting the backwaters of the State of Kerala. The award presented annually at International Tourismus-Borse Berlin (ITB).
1st Indo-Nepal Friendship Motor Rally concluded at India Gate in New Delhi on 08th March 2015 to spreading the message of road safety.
The scheme namely ‘Aapki Beti Humari Beti’ launched by the State Government of Haryana on 08th March 2015 to combat the problem of declining child sex ratio.
On 08th March 2015 Saudi Arabia has overtaken India to become the World’s biggest weapons importer in the year 2014.
Current Affairs highlights for Feb 2015, Helios Coaching SHIMLA
Union Budget Highlights (The Hindu)
|1||Abolition of Wealth Tax.|
|2||Additional 2% surcharge for the super rich with income of over Rs. 1 crore.|
|3||Rate of corporate tax to be reduced to 25% over next four years.|
|4||No change in tax slabs.|
|5||Total exemption of up to Rs. 4,44,200 can be achieved.|
|6||100% exemption for contribution to Swachch Bharat, apart from CSR.|
|7||Service tax increased to14 per cent.|
|1||Rs. 25,000 crore for Rural Infrastructure Development Bank.|
|2||Rs. 5,300 crore to support Micro Irrigation Programme.|
|3||Farmers credit – target of 8.5 lakh crore.|
|1||Rs. 70,000 crores to Infrastructure sector.|
|2||Tax-free bonds for projects in rail road and irrigation|
|3||PPP model for infrastructure development to be revitalised and govt. to bear majority of the risk.|
|4||Atal Innovation Mission to be established to draw on expertise of entrepreneurs, and researchers to foster scientific innovations; allocation of Rs. 150 crore.|
|5||Govt. proposes to set up 5 ultra mega power projects, each of 4000MW.|
|1||AIIMS in Jammu and Kashmir, Punjab, Tamil Nadu, Himachal Pradesh, Bihar and Assam.|
|2||IIT in Karnataka; Indian School of Mines in Dhanbad to be upgraded to IIT.|
|3||PG institute of Horticulture in Amritsar.|
|4||Kerala to have University of Disability Studies|
|5||Centre of film production, animation and gaming to come up in Arunachal Pradesh.|
|6||IIM for Jammu and Kashmir and Andhra Pradesh.|
|1||Allocation of Rs. 2,46,726 crore; an increase of 9.87 per cent over last year.|
|2||Focus on Make in India for quick manufacturing of Defence equipment.|
|1||GST and JAM trinity (Jan Dhan Yojana, Aadhaar and Mobile) to improve quality of life and to pass benefits to common man.|
|2||Six crore toilets across the country under the Swachh Bharat Abhiyan.|
|3||MUDRA bank will refinance micro finance orgs. to encourage first generation SC/ST entrepreneurs.|
|4||Housing for all by 2020.|
|5||Upgradation 80,000 secondary schools.|
|6||DBT will be further be expanded from 1 crore to 10.3 crore.|
|7||For the Atal Pension Yojana, govt. will contribute 50% of the premium limited to Rs. 1,000 a year.|
|8||New scheme for physical aids and assisted living devices for people aged over 80 .|
|9||Govt. to use Rs. 9,000 crore unclaimed funds in PPF/EPF for Senior Citizens Fund.|
|10||Rs. 5,000 crore additional allocation for MGNREGA.|
|11||Govt. to create universal social security system for all Indians.|
|1||Rs. 75 crore for electric cars production.|
|2||Renewable energy target for 2022: 100K MW in solar; 60K MW in wind; 10K MW in biomass and 5K MW in small hydro|
|1||Develpoment schemes for churches and convents in old Goa; Hampi, Elephanta caves, Forests of Rajasthan, Leh palace, Varanasi , Jallianwala Bagh, Qutb Shahi tombs at Hyderabad to be under the new toursim scheme.|
|2||Visa on Arrival for 150 countries.|
|1||Sovereign Gold Bond, as an alternative to purchasing metal gold.|
|2||New scheme for depositors of gold to earn interest and jewellers to obtain loans on their metal accounts.|
|3||To develop an Indian gold voin, which will carry the Ashok Chakra on its face, to reduce the demand for foreign coins and recycle the gold available in the country.|
|1||Forward Markets Commission to be merged with the Securities and Exchange Board of India|
|2||NBFCs registered with the RBI and having asset size of Rs 500 crore and above to be considered as ‘financial institution’ under Sarfaesi Act, 2002, enabling them to fund SME and mid-corporate businesses|
|3||Permanent Establishment norms to be modified to that mere presence of offshore fund managers in the country does not lead to “adverse tax consequences.”|
National Science Day is celebrated in India on 28 February each year to mark the discovery of the “Raman effect” by Indian physicist Sir Chandrasekhara Venkata Raman, was awarded the Nobel Prize in Physics (1930), Lenin Peace Prize (1957) & Bharat Ratna (1954).
The Muthoot Group, and World Wide Fund for Nature- India (WWF-India) has launched ‘Friends for Life’, an elephant conservation project
The World Innovation Summit for Health (WISH) 2015 was held on 17-18 February 2015 in Qatar.
Agra hosted the 49th South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation (SAARC) literature festival in February 2015.
Anil Kumble will be inducted in the ICC Cricket hall of fame
The ReEBOV Antigen Rapid Test kit made by Colorado-based Corgenix has been approved by WHO for quick testing Ebola.
Railway Budget Highlights:
|1||The most-expected part about this year’s Railway Budget – there is no increase in passsenger rail fares.|
|2||Rs.8.5 lakh crore will be invested in Railways in next 5 years.|
|3||‘Operation 5 mins’, wherein passengers travellling unreserved can purchase a ticket in 5 minutes.|
|4||Bio toilets and airplane-type vaccum toilets in trains.|
|5||Surveillance cameras in select coaches and ladies compartments for women’s safety without compromising on privacy.|
|6||Rail tickets can now be booked 120 days in advance.|
|7||Speed on nine railway corridors to go up to 200 km per hour.|
|8||Wi-Fi in more stations, mobile phone charging facilities in all train compartments.|
|9||Facility of online booking of wheelchair for senior citizens.|
|10||Satellite railway terminals in major cities.|
|11||Centrally managed Rail Display Network is expected to be introduced in over 2K stations over the next 2 years.|
|12||All india 24/7 helpline – 138 from March 2015 ; Toll free No.182 for security.|
|13||917 road under-bridges and over-bridges to be constructed to replace 3,438 railway crossings; at a cost of Rs. 6,581 crore.|
|14||Four Railway Research Centres to start in four universities.|
|15||Details about new trains and increased frequency will be announced later in this session of Parliament after review.|
“International Mother Language Day” is 21 February
Speaker of Delhi Assembly – Ram Niwas Goyal
Minister for Environment, Forest and Climate Change, Prakash Javadekar released E-Book for his Ministry in New Delhi.
At the 87th Annual Academy Awards or the Oscar, Birdman bagged the best picture award. Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu Director of Birdman is awarded with Best Director Award.
British actor Eddie Redmayne won the best actor Oscar award for his role in “The Theory of Everything” while K Simmons won the best supporting actor for Whiplash film.
Juliana Moore adjudged the best actress for her role in Still Alice. Patricia Arquette won the best actress title in a supporting role for the ‘Boyhood’ movie.
The black-and-white Polish film “Ida” bagged the award for the best foreign language film. The movie was directed by Pawel Pawlikowski.
Walt Disney’s super hero action comedy film “Big Hero 6” won the best animated feature film.
Oseltamivir INN, marketed under the trade name Tamiflu, is an antiviral medication used to prevent and treat influenza A and influenza B. The medication is taken orally.
Simona Halep won the WTA championship held in Dubai during Feb’15. She defeated Karolina Pliskova in the finals.
PM Modi launches Soil Health Card scheme targeting 14 crore farmers (“Swasth Dhra Khet Hra”)
Somdev Devvarman won the “Delhi Open” title by defeating Yuki Bhambri on 22 Feb 2015.
In a first, women join “Sarang” Helicopter team of IAF.
The number of tigers in the country has increased to 2,226 this year (1706 last year)
Inflation dropped to a five and a half year low of – 0.39 per cent in January on falling prices of manufactured and fuel items.
T K Viswanathan Committee submitted its interim report on the “corporate bankruptcy legal framework in India” to the government.
Rui Araujo, has been elected as new prime minister of the East Timor.
Croatia’s first female President Kolinda Grabar-Kitarovic was sworn in on 15 February 2015.
The G20 finance ministers and central bank governors meeting was held in Istanbul
The 17th edition of Bharat Rang Mahotsav was held in New Delhi. (org. by NSD)
Eminent singer, composer, lyricist and actor Shekhar Sen has been appointed as the chairman of the Sangeet Natak Akademi
India got 29th rank amongst the 30 countries in the International Intellectual property (IP) index released by U.S. Chamber of Commerce’s Global Intellectual Property Center (GIPC).
Aam Aadmi declared that “Jai Kisan Abhiyan” would be launched across Haryana from February 21
Postage stamps with ‘Swachh Bharat Mission’ as theme on 30th Jan (MK Gandhi).
China overtakes US as top investment destination.
Madhya Pradesh gets national award for excellent work in MGNREGA.
Alibaba acquired 25% stake in Paytm.
Anupam Shrivastava becames new CMD of BSNL.
Hari Shankar Brahma, became the 19th Chief Election Commissioner (CEC) of India.
A.S.Kiran Kumar replaced K.Radhakrishnan as the new ISRO Chief.
Modi chairs first NITI Aayog meet.
Reliance teams up with State Bank of India for payments bank.
Modi govt to bring new scheme to replace JNNURM.
RBI releases Rs 42,000 crore to fund FY16 growth.
RBI doubles forex remittance limit to $250,000.
Current Affairs highlights for Jan 2015, Helios Coaching SHIMLA
Dr.S. Jaishankar appointed as Foreign Secretary succeeded by Sujatha
Serena Williams and Novak Djokovic has won the women’s and men’s single titles, respectively at Australian Open-2015.
Britain became the first country to allow the creation of so-called “three-parent” babies.
Saloni Dalal became the youngest medallist at the ongoing National Games in Kerala (T’puram).
Kolkata has become India’s first Wi-Fi-enabled metro city
India has carried out the first canister-based trial Agni-V with a strike rate of over 5,000 km & can carry a nuclear warhead of over one tonne.
27 January – International Holocaust day (for killing of 60 lac Jews)
International Renewable Energy Agency (IRENA) is located at Abu Dhabi
ICC Cricket World Cup-2019 shall be hosted by England
India shall be hosting International Cricket Council (ICC) World Twenty20 in 2016
Dubai International Airport has overtaken London’s Heathrow airport as the world’s busiest airport for international traffic.
Shekhar Sen has been appointed as the chairman of the Sangeet Natak Akademi
Ustad Amjad Ali Khan has been given the responsibility to set up India’s first International Music institute at Kerala.
Zambia’s new President is Edgar Lungu.
On 18th January 2015, AB de Villiers, hit fastest century in ODI Cricket, in just 31 balls against West Indies.
Syedi Modi International Badminton Championship: Saina Nehwal & P Kashyap are winners.
The “Tunnel of Time” is the autobiography of R K Lakshman
Prime Minister Jan Dhan Yojana has got entry in the Guinness book of world record.
Pakistan’s former foreign minister Khurshid Mahmud Kasuri is the author of the book “Neither A Hawk, Nor A Dove”.
Arunachal Pradesh became the first state in India to launch web based education programme for all schools, supported by Google.
SC appointed 3 member panel headed by former CJI Justice R M Lodha, for major reforms in the practice and procedure of the BCCI.
All woman contingent on 26th Jan:
Army – Capt Divya Ajith.
Navy- Lt Commander Sandhya Chauhan.
Air Force -Squadron Leader Sneha.
Libby Lane, first female bishop of England consecrated
Pahlaj Nihalani is new chairperson of the Central Board of Film Certification (CBFC)
Indian men’s football team’s head coach is English Stephen Constantine
Miss Colombia, Paulina Vega, is now Miss Universe, beating Miss USA Nia Sanchez
Haryana appoints Baba Ramdev as brand ambassador
International Monetary Fund (2013) estimates, in nominal GDP terms, the rank of Indian Economy =10th (3rd in PPP terms)
Pancheshwar Multipurpose Project (PMP) is hydropower project to be developed by India & Nepal.
Major Mukund Varadarajan, Naik Neeraj Kumar Singh posthumously awarded with Ashok Chakra
24 Jan is National Girl Child Day.
Union ministry of water resource has decided to celebrate the year 2015-16 as “Jal Kranti Divas”
DSC Prize for South Asian Literature 2015- Jhumpa Lahiri (Nilanjana Sudeshna)
Movie “The Theory of Everything” is based on Stephen Hawking
UN chief Ban Ki-Moon has inaugurated the India’s first-ever canal top solar power plant in Gujrat.
India observes 118th birth anniversary of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose
Shanta Kumar Panel recommended reduction of Food Security cover to 40% along-with revamping of FCI. It may save Rs. 30,00/yr
After 32 years of sanctions, first indigenously-built Tejas Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) was handed over to the IAF on 17 January
In India, tiger census is carried out after a gap of every three years by the National Tiger Conservation Authority (NTCA).In 2008 it was 1,411, 2011 =1,706 and 2014 =2226.
Nw Jersey is the venue for the International Hindi Conference-2015 to be held in April 2015.
“Popular State Militia” is a pro-government militia formed by which country to fight against Islamic State terrorist: Syria
Satya Nadella, is CEO of Microsoft. Nadella has been selected for a Pravasi Bharatiya Samman Award
Celtic Tiger refers to the economy of the Republic of Ireland between 1995 and 2000 because of high FDI.
Stan Wawrinka, who won the Chennai Open title-2015, belongs to Switzerland
Raksha Blue is India’s first vaccine for blue tongue disease prevalent among flocks of goats and sheep across the country.
Rashtriya Avishkar Abhiyan: Science and Mathematics
World Congress on International Law was held in New Delhi from January 9-11
Ranil Wickeramasinghe is the tenth Prime Minister of Sri Lanka
As per RBI guidelines, banks can allow minors above 10 years to independently open and operate saving banks accounts
UNMEER is the UN Mission for Ebola Emergency Response
Arunima Sinha who became the first female amputee to scale Mount Everest is the author of the book “Born Again on the Mountain”.
Justice Surendra Kumar Sinha has been appointed as Chief Justice of Bangladesh.
FIFA Ballon d’Or award for 2014 in men and women category, respectively: Cristiano Ronaldo and Nadine Kessler
Host of UN Climate Change Conference, COP20 or COP10, is Lima (Peru)
The winner’s of FIFA Ballon d’Or award for 2014 in men and women category, respectively
RBI governor Raghuram Rajan has been named as the ‘Governor of the Year’ in the Central Banking Journal award for 2015.
Winner of Federation Cup Football Tournament 2014-15: Bengaluru FC
Golfer Anirban Lahiri, has been voted the 2014 Asian Tour Players’ Player of the year.
Krishna Kant Paul sworn in as the sixth Governor of Uttarakhand.
Terrorists attacked in the Paris offices of a satirical weekly ‘Charlie Hebdo’ killing at least 12 people on 7 Jan
9 January is Pravasi Bhartiya Divas. Being celebrated to mark homecoming of MK Gandhi from Africa.
Theme of the Indian Science Congress-2015(100 yrs, established in 1914) (@Mumbai, 3-7 Jan): Science and Technology for Human Development
“The Interview”movie is supposed to have a major role on N. Korean leader Kim Jong-un(Sony owner of Columbia Pictures, hacked by “Guardians of Peace”)
Vice Chairman of the recently constituted NITI Aayog which has replaced the Planning Commission: Arvind Panagariya.Sindhushree Khullar to be NITI Aayog CEO
K Srikanth beats Lin Dan of China & Saina Nehwal beats Akane Yamaguchi of Japan in China Open Super Series 2014
Arjun Atwal won the Dubai Open 2014
Prakash Mishra becomes CRPF Chief
Urban Development Minister Venkaiah Naidu announces Delhi to be country’s first ‘smart city’.
Sachin Tendulkar: Brand Ambassador for ICC Cricket World Cup 2015
Author of “The Dramatic Decade: The Indira Gandhi Years” : Pranab Mukherjee
Singapore beats Mauritius as biggest source of FDI into India
Atletico de Kolkata defeated Kerala Blasters FC 1-0 in the final to lift the Indian Super League (ISL) football trophy.
PM Narendra Modi released a commemorative coin to mark the 175th birth anniversary of Shri Jamsetji Tata
The Rohingya Muslims are stateless people of Arakan, in Myanmar. UN general assembly adopted a resolution urging Myanmar to grant citizenship to them
Bezbaruah Committee (set upin Feb 2014) : Safety and security of people from North East India
India becomes the seventh country in the world to have its own payment gateway system namely ‘RuPay’. Its similar to Visa and Mastercard.
Chairam of FICCI : Jyotsna Suri
Fortune Magazine’s “Business person of year 2014: Larry Page