Premier Coaching Institute Chain in the State: (Estd. 2015)
Lahaul is bounded by Bara Bhanghal in the South, Kullu in the East, Spiti in the East &Chamba in the West & Ladakh in the North.
Lahaul is also called the “Valley of Glaciers” (Andrew Wilson).
Lahaul is also known Garja (pronounced as ‘Gar-Ha’ in Tibet).
Spiti was a separate political and cultural unit. It appears that Spiti always remained under the suzerainty of the Tibetans and the Guge Kingdom.
During the medieval period, Lahaul and Spiti were two separate states. Petty chieftains, called Jo, who were of Tibetan origin, ruled Lahaul.
Lahaul was occupied by the rulers of Bharmour around 600 AD, which suggests that the Hindus, lived here side by side of the Buddhists.Ladakhis use to call it Southern district and Rahul Sankrityayan called it country of Gods.
A legend says that Lahaul is a corrupted form of Rahul, son of Budh.In 2000 BC Munda origin (Bihar/Bengal of 20th century) people were living here.The Chinese pilgrim, Hiuen Tsang (629-645 AD) mentioned it as Lo-hu-lo or Lho-yul. Tibetian used to call Lahaul as Garzha (white cap).In 8th century AD Raja of Chamba, Ajay Varman was subjugated by Kashmir & Lahaul automatically came under Kashmir.In 10th century when Tibetan Empire broke, Lahaul came under Ladakh Empire under the ruler Palygi Gon.In 1530, it was ruled by women and was also known as ‘Kingdom of women’.During Thsewang Namgyal’s rule (Ladakh), Lahaul got separated, around 1550 AD.Lahaul came under the rule of petty chiefs (Thakurs) for a very short time & later went under Chamba rule around 1600 AD.Raja of Kullu, Bidhi Singh (son of Raja Jagat Singh) acquired Lahaul from Chamba between 1680-1700 AD.In 1840 Lahaul along with Kullu went to Sikhs.Lahaul automatically came under Britishers as it was ruled by Kullu Rajas in 1846, when Kullu came under the British rule.
In 1631 AD, Jesuit father Azevedo visited Lahaul and called it Gar-zha which was tributary of Kullu.In 1691, Raja Uday Singh of Chamba renamed Marghul as Udaipur and made into a district.Its earliest inhabitants were Hindus, as is evident from a large number of linga stones and stone images.
Gondhla fort (Rani ki Kothi) was built by Raja Man Singh of Kullu. He married the daughter of Gondhal thakur.
Tandi was the capital during the visit of Moorcroft in 1820 AD and the capital was shifted to Keylong in 1910 AD.
L&S became district of Punjab in June 1960 & district of Himachal in Nov 1966