KULLU

Kullu State
Derivation of Name Kullu: Kullu was earlier known as Ulut and Uluk.It was the second most ancient state after Trigarta(Kangra) and Cunningham traced it as Kullut. Kullu is known as ‘Valley of Gods’.
Kullu was founded by Vihangmani Pal, in the second century AD. The ruling family came from Mayapuri, Haridwar.
Its capital was founded at Nast (Jagatsukh) which remained so until 10 generations. Naggar was founded by Visudh Pal and remained capital till it was transferred to Kullu (Sultanpur).
During the rule of Raja Jagat Singh (1637-1672 AD) Sultanpur was made the capital which he won from Raja of Lag.
During the rule of Dateshwar Pal (680-700 AD) Kullu was lost to Chamba. It happened possibly during Meru Varman’s reign in Chamba and Dateshwar was killed. Later during the reign of Narad Pal, Chamba was under Sahil Varman. He attacked Kullu and made a fort below Rohtang pass.
The Battle continued for 12 years. During Uchit Pal’s reign, Kullu became tributary of Ladakh.
Raja Sidh Singh was the creator of the Naggar Castle and his son Raja Bahadur Singh (RBS) got the temple of Hidimba Devi constructed in 1553 AD.
Sidh Singh (1500-1532 AD): Sidh Singh was the 1st amongst the kings with Surname as ‘Singh’.Hidimba Devi was respected as the grandmother and the patron-deity by the royal family of Kullu.Sidh Singh died in 1532 AD.
Raja Bhahadur Singh (1532-1559 AD): He built Hidimba temple (1553 AD) to commemorate victory over Ranas & Thakurs. Though Naggar was the capital, Bahadur Singh rebuilt and resided at the ancient town of Makaraha/ Makarsa to control the area better.Sultan Singh, brother of Raja of Lag, founded Sultanpur. Similarly, Dhal Singh established Dhalpur. Singh died around1559 AD.
Jagat Singh (6th King, 1637-72 AD): He was a contemporary of Shahjahan and Aurangzeb. There are records of letters sent by Dara Shikoh & Aurangzeb to Jagat Singh.
In 1657 AD, Jagat Singh captured Lag, which was under Mughal protection.
Jagat Singh transferred his capital from Naggar to Sultanpur (Lag principality) in about 1660 AD.
He made a palace and a temple for the Raghunath Ji where he installed an image of Rama.Kishan Das known as Fuhari Baba suggested him to install the idol of Lord Raghunathji He deputed a Brahmin, Damodar Dass to steal the idol from Tret Nath Temple (Ayodhya) and received it in July 1651 AD. Due to presence of Ragunathji (Lord Ram) idol, Makaraha is considered to be another Ayodhya.
Man Singh (1688-1719 AD) Raja Man Singh of Kullu invaded Spiti around 1690 and made it tributary to Kullu.
He defeated Raja Sidh Sen of Mandi and captured salt mines of Drang.
He captured Bara & Chotta Bhanghal in 1719 AD, when Sidh Sen of Mandi murdered Prithvi Pal. Prithvi Pal was a king of Bhangal and son-in-law of Sidh Sen of Mandi. The Boundary was settled with Ladakh at Lingti, after an agreement. He also made Kotgarh, Kumarsen and Balsan his tributary.
Raj Singh (1719-31 AD) There is a hoax that Guru Gobind Singh (GGS) came for his help against Muslims, but he humiliated GGS and imprisoned him in a cage. GGS had already passed away in 1708 AD.
Ajit Singh (1816-1840 AD) He was an illegitimate son, and Raja of Mandi did his investiture as Kullu King.In 1839, after capturing of Mandi under Gen Ventura of Sikhs, a force was sent to Kullu Raja Ajit Singh was treacherously captured and agreed to retire with a Jagir in Parol.
Sikhs made Thakur Singh, the first cousin of Ajit Singh King (1841-52 AD).
Thakur Singh was confirmed the Jagir of Waziri Rupi but rest of Kullu, including Lahaul was placed under Assistant Commissioner and District Kangra. Spiti was also removed from Ladakh and annexed in Kullu itself.
After the death of Thakur Singh (1852-1869 AD), his illegitimate son Gyan Singh was made Rai (not Raja) and was stripped of all political powers.
During 1857, son of Kishan Singh (uncle of Ajit Singh) made a claim to Kullu gaddi but was caught after creating tumult. He was hanged at Dharamshala after a trial.
Dalip Singh (Minor) became Rai in 1869 and assumed this position in 1883 AD, after attaining majority. He persisted till 1892 AD and was succeeded by Megh Singh (1892-1921 AD).
Kullu was made a sub-division of Kangra District in 1849 AD, it was attached to the Deputy- Commissionership of Kangra. First Assistant-Commissioner was Captain Hay at Naggar. After the revolt of 1857, the Kullu state was united with the district of Kangra.
Lahaul-Spiti was attached to Kullu for administration.
Kullu was also declared a district in 1963 of Punjab and remained till 1st of November 1966, when on reorganization of states, Kullu became a District of HP.
error: Content is protected !!