KINNAUR

Kinnaur in Mythology
Kinners find a place in Mahabharat, the Ajanta Fresco and works of Kalidas’s Kumarsambhav.They were believed to be people of higher air and creator of heavenly music.
Hayagreeva/Ashwamukh (Horse face) were worn during times of war, by these tribes.
Nagas had Vasuki, Kali and Takshak as their kings during Mahabharata times. They spread towards the plains and had Bharav Nag their king in 3rd century AD.
Ajay Shekhar in his Kavyaninnanisa praises Kautilya for the new conquests and introduction of efficient administration in the Himalayas, then inhabited by the Kinnersaras.
Tibetans attacked Kinnaur sometime in the 7th century AD and remained its overlords till the 13th century AD. Tibetanisation of the region took place only with the invasion by army of Tibetan King Srong-Tsan-Gompo (620-649 AD). This resulted into the influx of Tibetan blood in the local populace.
Population started getting mixed with the Tibetans through matrimonial alliances later, perhaps in the 9th or 10th century AD.
Kinnaur has had historical links with Ladakh almost from the 10th century to 17th century AD.
Kamru village, situated in the Baspa valley, served as the seat of capital of Bushahr state that is one of the oldest kingdoms of the Himalayas. Upper Kinnaur was under the imperial control of Tibet till ninth century but later came under Bushahr state.
In the medieval period, i.e. from the 13th to 15th centuries AD, Kinnaur was divided into petty kingdoms ruled over by local chieftains known as the Thakurs.
During the war between Tibet and Ladakh in 1681-83, Raja Kehri Singh of Bushahr beats The Tibetan commander Guldenchhen & a treaty was signed that the Kailash will remain the boundary line of Bushahr with Tibet.
On the conclusion of the Gurkha war, Raja Mahendra Singh was granted a Sanad on 6th November, 1815.
The district was earlier known as Chini Tehsil of the former Mahasu District and came into being as an independent district w.e.f. 1st May, 1960. Prior to merger of State on the eve of independence, Kinnaur valley was a part of erstwhile Bushahr State which had its headquarters at Rampur.
error: Content is protected !!